Motorhome. I always knew about it, I always saw it, I was always thinking is cool but I never considered to travel by it! [Why?! – who knows :P]
My boyfriend is the fan of any cars and this year instead of going to the hot beach on New Year’s Eve we decided to change destination. We chose freezing Central Europe covered by the snow and moving with the caravan.
Tadam! There was no snow during 10 days of our 11 -days trip 😀 But about it in my next article.
Shortly we made around 3 000 km sightseeing in Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, and Slovakia.
I was looking for the company to rent the car in Poland as we started our trip from my home town. To rent a motorhome in Poland during the winter? Wow! So hard. Well, ok, I can understand is warmer to travel with that in the summer but come on, one company doesn’t want to rent during the winter (don’t know why), second doesn’t have cars in the winter, third has some problems…. Finally, I found in the bigger city, where was much easier.
#PRICE OF THE RENTAL
It’s not a cheap deal. But we choose one of the cheapest. 90 EUR/ day, as we wanted to have everything working during the cold winter (about how many important things wasn’t working you will find in cons). If you travel to the expensive destination with more than 2 people I think is definitely worth it. We didn’t really calculate how much we would spend
1) going by normal car and renting a hotels and
2) going with motorhome and paying for campings.
More or less it would be the same, but the comfort of traveling – priceless.
There are many applications which help to find campings or parking for caravans. We were using: park4night or motorhome parking.
There are campings with totally different conditions.
Some parking are free without facilities. Some of the places are ok with basic stuff (toilets, showers), but we found also with fancy bathrooms, hair dryers, stores, washing machines fresh bread delivery, wi-fi, pool.
That the fanciest and expensive was in Austria ~ 50 euros/ day and the cheapest in Italy ~ 18 euros.
Some campings you can enter 24h a day, some are closed at 10 pm.
In Austria, there were spots for us without reservation, but there were almost full. In other countries, we fit easily, but I guess during the summer is better to do reservations, if you only know how are your plans.
- During this 11 days holiday, we never slept in one place more than one night. We were changing it everyday. I really loved that we didn’t need to collect our stuff every morning checking out from the hotel. It saved our time, energy and cost of the things which we would forget from the hotel. Making the round trip and sleeping in the hotel I guess would be very tiring. That was amazing to be everyday in different country, eating different food, admiring different landscape and hear different language.
- Breakfasts and dinners we were having in the motorhome. What we bought ones in supermarket we put into the fridge and we didn’t need to eat it fast, worried it can go bad. We had it everyday fresh, ready to eat.
- You drive, you stop and you are already at home. No need to look for a hotel, no need to check in, unpack everything you have. You can stop into the wild and you have everything you need.
- We could work from the car. As my boyfriend is working remotely and I develop my online business, motorhome can become for us real home! Just stop in front of the beautiful mountains or marvelous beach. Like from a dream.
- Sometimes it’s difficult to park in the city center. Of course, depends on where you are and how are the rules. Usually is like this: you park the car somewhere in the camping, which is never in the city center and then you go with public transportation to the spots you want to see. Of course, unless you don’t have a motorbike in the trunk of the caravan. We didn’t have it but If we would – it would be just perfect ever! Totally independent holidays! We didn’t travel with motorhome in Spain yet, but in many places, there are just marked “forbidden to enter with caravan” or “forbidden to park for caravans”.
The others cons which we had was only because there was winter and we were unlucky…
- Heating stopped working on the 3rd day. We didn’t know what was wrong, we were keep contacting renting company but they weren’t able to help us. It doesn’t matter that I prepared many blankets for this trip. Imagine that you feel ok under the blanket while sleeping but your nose, ears are cold and air which you breathing is freezing your throat. I was afraid we will be suffocated when we covered our faces, but it was better choice than got frozen :D.
I was preparing hot fruit tea with cherry vodka every day (Polish best one! 😀 ). It was warming us up very fast, but after few days we had enough of that flavor. Then we bought electric heater to survive but later and later temperature outside was lower and lower and our cold was worse and worse 😛
- So! When heating wasn’t working, water started freezing and leaking through the security system. We had no heating, no water, generally a bit shitty situation. We had to take showers in the camping which were always with bathrooms but still It wasn’t nice to walk after the shower outside when was -5, even it wasn’t far from the car.
The problem with the water started almost at the end of our trip. When we heard that weather forecast shows -17 degrees during the night we decided to cut our trip and come back to Poland.
Our situation was extreme one but It will not make us give up traveling by motorhome during the winter. We had fun in cold caravan anyway! Experience with motorhome was really great and I loved that. Moreover, I truly believe in the summer is even more exciting. You don’t need heating, not really hot water, so you can park in random places, in the forest either coast. You can do also bbq outside, jump to the sea directly from the door, meet people which just parked near your car in the camping…That’s awesome! You should experience that. Please, go at least ones, you will see!
Fuck! I love to travel! 🙂